The purpose of the project “Enhancing climate resilience and adaptive capacity in the transboundary Chu-Talas basin” (September 2015 – June 2018) is “to establish a framework for regular and strategic climate change adaptation action in the Chu-Talas River Basin and enable the Chu-Talas Commission and local authorities to facilitate climate change adaptation in the basin”. Based on stakeholder consultations the expected project results are:
- Framework for regular and strategic climate change adaptation action in the Chu-Talas River Basin established,
- Benefits of adaptation measures assessed and demonstrated on the ground,
- Increased awareness and knowledge of Chu-Talas Commission and other key stakeholders of adaptation options in the river basin and the need for transboundary cooperation in adaptation.
- Implementing agency: UNECE.
- Key partners (national and international): Chu-Talas Basin Commission, Department of water management and melioration under the Ministry of Agriculture and Melioration of the Kyrgyz Republic, Hydromet Kyrgyzstan, small holder farmers, rural poor in Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan, United Nations Development Programme in Kyrgyzstan.
The project “Promoting Cooperation to Adapt to Climate Change in the Chu and Talas Transboundary Basin” (January 2010 - December 2014) aimed to improve the adaptive capacity of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan, to support dialogue and cooperation on the needed steps to design an adaptation strategy in the transboundary context and thereby prevent controversy on the use of water resources. Its specific objectives were:
- Modelling of the possible changes in water resources of the Chu-Talas basin associated with climate conditions and elaboration of joint scenarios,
- Preparation of joint vulnerability assessment, focusing on selected areas/sectors of importance for the work of the Commission,
- Development of a package of possible adaptation measures and relevant procedures for the Commission, which may contribute to decreasing potential tensions over changing hydrological regimes. Such procedures and measures will be built into the regular Commission’s operations and policies, where appropriate.
- Facilitating organizations: UNDP, UNECE and OSCE.
- Kazakhstan: Committee of Water Resources, Ministry of Agriculture
- Kyrgyzstan: State Committee of Water Resources and Melioration
- Secretariat of the Chu-Talas Commission
News And Events
Consultations and seventh meeting of Dniestr project, Chisinau, 9-10 July 2013
Fourth Workshop on Adaptation to Climate Change in Transboundary Basins (Geneva, 25–26 June 2013)
Final workshop on Flood Risk Management planning and Climate Change assessment in the Sava River Basin, Zagreb, 5-6 June 2013.
Workshop on Flood Communication in the Dniester River Basin May 27-28, 2013 Lviv, Ukraine
Workshop on climate change adaptation in the Neman river basin. Vilnius, Lithuania, 16 May 2013
Workshop and expert meetingRiver basin management and climate change adaptation in the Neman river basin. Minsk, Republic of Belarus, 19 March 2013
First meeting of the global network of basins working on adaptation to climate change and third meeting of the core group of pilot projects (Geneva, 20 - 21 February 2013)